Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Our Advent Celebration!

We have enjoyed celebrating advent in the last few years and have found it has helped us to learn how to replace the Christmas me mentality with Christmas is for Christ.  I have always found it hard to truly consider this season as one of anticipation in Christ's coming when I am surrounded by gifts for me and gifts I was frantically trying to prepare and give to others.  5 years ago we decided as a family we wanted to change that,  We started learning about and celebrating Advent.  I would usually begin in November preparing the Advent calendar by putting scripture and activities we would do as a family throughout the month.  Here is a brief definition of Advent:
But you have no idea what Advent is.
Advent is the season leading up to Christmas, beginning 4 Sundays before Dec. 25th.
What's the point, you ask?
I'm glad you did.
"We are a people of promise. For centuries God prepared people for the coming of His Son, our only hope for life. At Christmas we celebrate the fulfillment of the promises God made - that he would make a way to draw near to him."
So, during the 4 weeks of Advent we are anticipating the coming of Jesus. Advent means "coming." Just like God's people were waiting for the salvation that was foretold all throughout the Old Testament, so we wait as they did, only we know the outcome, JESUS!
"Advent is a season of looking back, thinking how it must have been, waiting for the promised salvation of God, not knowing what to expect. And at the same time, Advent is a
season of looking ahead, preparing ourselves to meet Jesus at his Second Coming."

We celebrate this time each day by opening up a envelope and reading the scriptures and questions to consider.  Here is our Advent Calendar
 
 

We also light the Advent Candles-

What's the purpose of Advent Candles?
As far as Advent Candles, we light one each Sunday, so there should be candles for four Sundays plus Christmas Day. As the lights get brighter and brighter, we reflect on how

Jesus truly is the "light of the world." Here is my Advent cheat sheet:
 
Week 1:
This week we light the very first candle--the Prophecy Candle. This candle represents not only the Biblical prophecies about Christ's birth, but the very feeling of anticipation which God's people experienced over hundreds of years as they awaited His coming. Advent encompasses both the arrival of the Christ child and His second glorious coming!
Week 2:
This week, we will be lighting the Bethlehem Candle. First light the Prophecy Candle, then the Bethlehem Candle.
The Bethlehem Candle represents the preparations made for the coming Christ child. Even though no room was available for Mary and Joseph when they came, God had orchestrated events so that Caesar Augustus called for a census to be taken. Joseph and Mary had to leave Nazareth so that they could register in Bethlehem and the prophecies were fulfilled.
Week 3:
This is the week of the Shepherds' Candle for Advent. The shepherds represent the message of great joy that is brought to the world about Jesus' birth. Light the first two candles and then the Shepherds' Candle.
Week 4:
This week's candle is called the Angel Candle and it represents the love which God shared with the world when He sent His Son, Jesus! Light all four Advent candles this week.
Christmas Day –
Today we light the past 4 candles of Advent and then the white candle, which represents Christ! Our Messiah, Jesus, Light of the World is finally here!

We usually just light a big Jar Candle that we have as well as the other four on the Advent wreath.
Questions to Consider:
Can others see why I am celebrating?
Am I celebrating Christ?
Am I focusing on God's gift so that my appreciation for Him grows?
"May our decorations, gifts, festivities or lack of them - never block our view of him but always point us toward him." -Noel Piper


We also enjoyed adding this year for the first time a story book reading about Advent each day.  This book is great for all ages and we all looked forward to what would happen next in the story.
 You can find this on Amazon.

 This book is the same idea but a boy is the main character.
 
 
When Christmas Day arrives we look forward to a day of focusing on Christ.  This year we planned a family concert which was very fun.  The girls each played piano songs and shared a dance.  Josh played a guitar song and I played piano.  Of course if you know our family we are not really musically talented so that's what made it fun as everyone enjoyed preparing something with the talent they have.  We read our final Advent and last chapter in the storybook and enjoyed spending the day together playing games eating food and a few Christmas movies. 
 
In the beginning of the month our Advent question was what is something you are really excited for or waiting for with expectation. As many of you know we are on a waiting list for adoption here In Mexico thus I answered that each day I pray for and think about the possibility and hopeful reality of adopting two precious children here in Mexico.  What is sad is as I said this I realized that should be the way I await and expect the coming of Christ, His birth at Christmas and His return for me someday.  Why don't I await Christ like that?  As I reflected on this thought throughout the month I realized that I can easily lose my first love and excitement of who Christ is and what he has done for me. Therefore I do have an expectation, I expect God to work and believe that He will but I have lost the daily anticipation and expectation of His return.  If I truly anticipate Christ what will my actions look like?  I would spend more time daily in the word with excitement, grow in my relationship with Him in prayer, do what He tells me in His word with joy and share the truth of the gospel without fear.   All of this follows our purpose which is to glorify Christ and enjoy Him forever. Did this thought permeate your Christmas season?  When I used to coach college volleyball we always evaluated our goals and actions at the end of the season.  I wonder if we evaluate our Christmas season, how would we do?  It is so easy to get caught up celebrating Christmas like the world but do we let tradition consume us claiming with our lips we are celebrating Christ's birth but our actions deny our every word.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

April Update

Alaska

During the last 2 months we have enjoyed a fun and relaxing time here in Alaska.  For the first couple of weeks we helped decor...